If your tired of having the stock HTC software on your phone and want a more open, rooted version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your Incredible try the7. This Rom is fully functional and one of the best available. You will even get support for in the future using this exact same method when the Cyanogenmod team release it
The Guide (You do this at your own risk, Flashing can damage your phone if done wrong)
First of all Backup everything on your phone. If your not bothered about anything on your phone skip this backup Step
- Connect your phone in disk drive mode to your PC and copy everything to a folder
- Backup any SMS/MMS messages, Call Logs or Bookmarks
- Backup any Apps using Titanium Backup or the Astro File Manager, for example
Rooting and prep ROOTING THE HTC INCREDIBLE WILL VOID THE WARRANTY
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod. Download
- Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device. Download
- Copy the CyanogenMod update.zip file to the of the SD card.
- Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the SD card.
- Go to the unrevoked website.
- Select the HTC Incredible.
- Download the option for operating system on the computer.
- If you are on Windows, install the HBOOT driver.
- Turn on “USB Debugging”: Menu >> Settings >> Applications >> Development
- Connect the HTC Incredible & set the connection mode to “Charge Only”
- Run the unrevoked software.
- The process takes a minute or two and in the end HTC Incredible should boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Once complete, the HTC Incredible will have SU access and ClockworkMod Recovery will be installed in place of stock recovery.
- Shutting down the phone with USB plugged in will start ClockworkMod Recovery in an unreliable mode.
- Shutting down the phone and then plugging in USB will also start ClockworkMod Recovery in an unreliable mode.
- The HTC Battery charge icon is replaced by ClockworkMod. Charge with the phone running in standby mode.
- Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery select the Recovery Option. Use the side volume buttons to move around, power button or trackball to select.
- Optional: Select backup and restore to create a backup of current installation on the HTC Incredible.
- Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset. Move to the yes option and trackball to select. Power button to go back
- Then select the option to Wipe cache partition. Move to the yes option and trackball to select. Power button to go back
- Select Install zip from sdcard.
- Select Choose zip from sdcard.
- Select the CyanogenMod update.zip.
- Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 – 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.
- Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The HTC Incredible should now boot into CyanogenMod.
Hope this guide was helpful to you :)